⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 sprig of thyme
1 pint Sungold cherry tomatoes
2 large heirloom tomatoes (beefsteak variety)
¼ cup basil leaves
2 tablespoons vinegar (red wine or balsamic)
1 tablespoon salt
1. Remove the stems from the Sungolds.
2. Over a medium flame, heat a sauté pan with ¼ cup of the olive oil, the garlic and thyme sprig.
3. When the garlic begins to soften, add the Sungolds. Add ½ tablespoon of salt.
4. When the Sungolds begin to split, remove from heat. Set aside.
5. Slice the heirloom tomatoes crosswise, about ¼-inch thick. Arrange 2-3 slices per serving plate, and sprinkle the remaining salt over all of them.
6. Drizzle the remaining olive oil and vinegar over the heirloom tomatoes.
7. With a slotted spoon, scoop the Sungolds over the heirlooms.
8. Garnish with basil and serve.